11/28/08

Preparing for the Sabbath

It can take months for a good idea to become an ingrained habit. It has been about one month since I started observing the Sabbath. What does 'observing' the sabbath mean for me? In the Gospel there is freedom. Thus, I can generate my own traditions. There is nothing meritorious about any tradition, per se. Tradition, however, can serve has a powerful antidote to amnesia. Observing the Sabbath has been a great experience in historical recall. It is the culmination of a week of work and struggle with the world. Heschel has said, "Six days a week we wrestle with the world, wringing profit from the earth; on the Sabbath we especially care for the seed of eternity planted in the soul. The world has our hands, but our soul belongs to Someone Else. Six days a week we seek to dominate the world, on the seventh day we try to dominate the self (The Sabbath, Pg. 1)." It is a time to place worldly concerns on the back burner and focus on the eternal.
One tradition that I have developed has been the Friday night house cleansing. Amber particularly likes this tradition. I make sure the floor are clean, the kitchen is spotless, and all my monetary activities are complete. It is a relief to wake up on Saturday morning and have no worry about all the things which clutter my life. My external setting is no longer a hindrance to my internal meditations on this day of rest.

1 comment:

author@ptgbook.org said...

I am glad you have started to keep God's Sabbath day. I have been keeping it since I was about 20 (I am in my fifties now) and I know it is a blessing.

I hope that as you keep the Sabbath you will grow closer to God and learn more about Him and more about how to keep the Sabbath in the way that pleases Him. This life is a school and we learn by doing.

I recently had a debate with someone in my blog about the Sabbath. He thought that the seventh-day Sabbath was only for Israel under the Old Covenant, but as I pointed out, Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, not just Israel (Mark 2:27).